Monday, September 28, 2009

Frustration



So, I don't normally use my blog to rant and rave about issues that bug me, but today I have reached my boiling point. I was in a store after school today, and happened to still have my name tag on that I have to wear at school. The man checking my out asked me if I was a teacher, and what grade I taught. I told him I teach kindergarten, and he went on to laugh a little. I asked him what was so funny, and he went on to say "well there really isn't a whole lot to teaching kindergarten". I WAS ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED WITH HIM. Normally, I would have brushed it off, but since that is the 3rd time in the past week I have had someone make a comment like that, I couldn't keep my anger inside anymore. So, I let him have it!! I am so tired of people not taking my job, or kindergarten for that matter, seriously I had to give him a piece of my mind. Kindergarten is not all about coloring pictures, nap time, an graham crackers and milk. The kindergarten core curriculum is HUGE, and involves a lot of complex skills necessary to developing early reading and numeracy skills. It actually is a lot like what 1st grade was when I was in elementary school. If kids don't go to kindergarten, and mind you kindergarten is still not mandatory in Utah, there is no possible way they can be as successful in school as they could be if they went to kindergarten! They miss out on learning so many vital skills, and have a difficult time catching up with their peers as they go through school.

Ok, I am done now. I just had to let it all out!! I feel better, and hope this is an eye opener for those who don't realize how important early education is for kids. Thanks for letting me rave!!

2 comments:

adam said...

Hear, hear. Let's hear it for the KINDERGARTEN TEACHERS!!!

Tayler Jae said...

What an Ass!! That makes me sad that you have to deal with comments like that because I know how much work you put into your job and how much you care about each and every one of your students! I'm glad he is laughing about the profession that teaches future generations while he is standing behind a check out counter looking for barcodes...what a meaningful life he leads!!