Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's for dinner?

Well, I've tried a few of my new recipes this week. Some have been really good.....and one not so much. So, here is my "Recipe Recap" for the past few days.....

Sunday: Chicken, Tomato, Spinach, Alfredo Braided Pizza

I got this idea from Karine.....I bet she never thought I would use some of her recipes!!! Cameron grew up loving when his mom made braided pizza for dinner, so I decided to make some for him and add my own little twist. Unfortunately, Cameron was sick and didn't get to enjoy the deliciousness of this dinner. So, here is the recipe:

1 Rhodes Frozen Loaf of Bread Dough (unlawed, and raised for 3 hours at room temperature)
1 Pkg of Precooked Grilled Chicken Strips
1 Tomato (seeded and chopped)
1 Cup of Fresh Spinach
1/2 Cup of Alfredo Sauce (I used Bertolli)
1 1/2 Cups of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Using a rolling pin, roll the pizza dough until it is about 12 inches long, and 5-6 inches wide. Spoon the Alfredo sauce onto the dough, and spread it evenly in the center of the dough, leaving a 2 inch boarder on each side, and a 1 inch boarder on the top and bottom. Then, layer the chicken strips, spinach, tomatoes, and cheese on top of the sauce. Using a sharp knife, cut 2 inch slits on each side of the filling. Then take 1 piece of dough from each side, and "braid" them together (you really just alternate going over, under, and pressing the dough together). Transfer the braided pizza to a cookie sheet, and bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes (depending on your oven)

My Review: DELICIOUS!! It wasn't healthy....by any means.....but was really good! I ate a salad along with it, and made more than enough for leftovers....well, maybe not if Cameron would have eaten. Thanks Karine for a little inspiration!!


Monday: Chicken, Mushrooms, and Rice Casserole

1 TBS Olive Oil
1 Cup White Wine (Don't be afraid to cook with wine....and I mean real wine. Not that cooking wine (alcohol freed) garbage. Those varieties only add a lot of salt, and not a lot of flavor. I promise, you won't regret cooking with the real stuff in any recipe)
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup (I used Campbell's Healthy Request)
2 Cups Sliced Mushrooms
4 Chicken Breasts
1 1/2 Cups of Rice (I used brown rice....I would not recommend using that though)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and add onion. When onions begin to soften, add mushrooms and cook until golden. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Push onions and mushrooms to side of pan and brown chicken skin side down (I used skinless breasts) for about 4 minutes on each side (you aren't cooking the chicken through since you are going to transfer everything to the oven to continue cooking). Remove chicken to plate. Stir in rice and cook with onions and mushrooms for 1 minute. Stir in wine and let simmer for 1 minute. Stir in soup and 1 1/2 cans of water and bring to a simmer. Pour rice mixture into a greased (I use butter flavored Pam) casserole dish. Place the chicken on top of rice, and cover with lid or foil. Bake for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. If necessary, stir in more water 1/2 cup at a time if all the liquid is absorbed before the rice is tender.

My Review:
This dinner was not so great. I really think it was because I used brown rice. It never really absorbed the flavors of anything. And, I just felt like this recipe was really missing something.....garlic maybe? or a little poultry seasoning? I am not sure. But I don't know if I will make this again. If anyone tries it and has better success by adding additional ingredients, let me know!!


Tuesday: Spaghetti....from Italian Village
Okay, okay.....now I know I didn't make this. But, let's be honest....Tuesday I felt like garbage and just couldn't bring myself to cook. So, we got take out...and then I went to bed at 7.....lame I know, but you gotta do what you gotta do!! Either way, I heart Italian Village, and this time did not disappoint!


Wednesday: Chicken Cacciatore
3-4 Chicken Breasts (use 4 if the pieces are small)
Salt and pepper to season the chicken
2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 TSP Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 Portobello Mushroom Caps, thinly sliced (wipe any dirt off with a damp cloth or paper towel....NEVER WASH A MUSHROOM!! They turn into sponges.)
4 Cloves of Garlic, crushed and minced
1/2 of an Onion, thinly sliced (The original recipes did not have this ingredient, but I think any red pasta sauce needs onion.)
1/2 Cup Beef Stock
1 (28-ounces) Can Crushed Tomatoes
A handful of Flatleaf Italian Parsley, chopped
1 pound egg ribbons or egg fettuccini (I used whole wheat penne)

Directions
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add half of the extra-virgin olive oil and brown chicken breasts for 3 or 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan and season with salt and pepper.

Return the pan to stove, reduce heat to medium and add the remaining oil. Add crushed pepper, sliced mushrooms, and garlic. Season with salt (salt is a magnet for drawing out liquid). Cover and cook mushrooms 5 minutes or until mushrooms are dark, tender and have given off their juices. Add about 1/2 cup of beef broth to intensify the wild mushroom flavor, then stir in the tomatoes and parsley. Cut the chicken into bite-size chunks or slices and add to sauce. Simmer sauce 5 minutes to finish cooking chicken pieces and to allow the flavors to combine. Toss pasta with the sauce and enjoy. (This recipe came from foodnetwork.com. It's one of Rachael Ray's.....I love her!)

My Review:
I really like this recipe. It had good flavor, and a little kick from the red pepper flakes. And, I was pleasantly surprised by the whole wheat pasta. I love pasta, so I was looking for something that would taste and have a similar texture to regular semolina pasta.....and it did! Good thing because my recipe is uses whole wheat lasagna noodles!! I will make this again for sure, and maybe add a few more veggies!


Well, I hope someone out there can benefit from my experimentation! Here is what is on the menu for the rest of the week:

Thursday: Lasagna Roll-Ups
Friday: Chicken w/ Tarragon Cream Sauce (sounds crazy, but I got this from a healthy recipes list from foodnetwork.com!!)

Stay tuned for more recipe recaps!!!

2 comments:

Suzi Q said...

YUM!!! I am going to have to try these!!! THanks for taking the time to post these.

MILLS said...

Im so glad you posted some of your amazing recipes!!! I will be trying that braided Pizza ASAP! (since pizza is all I really crave these days)
Keep on posting all the Tasty Eats!