Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How Guilible Are You?

Let me begin by telling you all how much I really and truly do not like St. Patrick's Day. I fully understand the historical significance, but just think the whole "Wear green or I'll pinch you" thing is a bit much. I am just not a fan......especially of having to wear green. I look AWFUL in green!! But, since I am a teacher, it is the unwritten rule you participate in all of the silly holidays throughout the year, so I do.

Well, this morning was a rough one. I a still trying to recoup from daylight savings. I was late to work (ssshhh....don't tell my principal), but only by 10 minutes and the kids weren't there yet. When I got to about 6400 south and 700 west, I realized that I forgot to put on my green plastic shamrock necklace and was wearing no green. LOVELY!! I am going to have 22 kindergartners pinching me and bugging me about not wearing green all day. I mean let's face it, 5 year olds love St. Patrick's Day almost as much as Halloween. I was planning on keeping everything very low key in order to maintain some sanity, but my kids were SO excited when they came in I decided I might as well play off their excitment.

When they went out for recess at 10:30, I stayed in and knocked over their chairs, sprinkled green glitter all over their tables, and put out gold chocolate coins, and golden nuggets (Rolos) to make them think a sneaky leprechaun came to visit while they were gone. I also bought green strawberry kiwi juice I was going to give them for snack, and found that I had some Lucky Charms cereal for them to eat with their green punch. How much more St. Patrick's Day'ish can you get? I mean, for trying to keep it low key, I ended up having tons of fabulously Irish themed items for them!

Obvioulsy, when they came inside, they were higher than kites! They fully believed that a leprechaun came and messed up our classroom while they were outside. So, thanks to another teachers early morning facebook post (thank you Kristi), I decided to make them think that if I drank the green leprechanun punch, I would get green spots all over by body, because everyone knows that leprechaun punch is only for kids! So, I drank the juice (which was surprisingly really good) and went to the office bathroom and used my dot art paint sticks to put green polk-a-dots all over my arms and chest....I couldn't bring myself to put them on my face. Well, it worked! They believed that I was turning green! It was hilarious!! I can't believe none of them caught on to my prank! I mean, how guilible are these kids!?!?! It made for a great, and very fun day in kindergarten! I am glad I became a little less grouchy about the whole frivolity of the day, and just went with it.

So, go and enjoy some green food and drink tonight....but remember, don't drink the leprechaun punch unless you want to have green spots!

6 comments:

Sher said...

You might be the best teacher ever! I actually cringed when I read that you sprinkled green glitter on the tables. I could only think of what a mess that would be! I hate glitter! Remember? NO glitter in my house! Happy Green Day!

l + j said...

and that is why you are the best teacher ever

MILLS said...

That just made my St Paddy's Day :) I agree with Liz you really are the best Teacher Ever!!!

Sharlene and Matt said...

That is SO cool, cute and clever! You are fun- I wish you were my kindergartner teacher after reading this post! Happy St Pattys Day! (even though I do agree...its a weird holiday to celebrate and how we celebrate it- wearing green?)

Jayson Michael West said...

You really are the best! And you make me feel like a GRINCH! Like you, I had the same attitude about St. Patrick's Day, only I went with that attitude and didn't do anything special besides wear a silly green cowgirl hat. :P Thanks for setting the standard so high! Next year I'll be getting your kids so they'll be EXPECTING something great!! I'll have to get with you to get some fun ideas!!!

Suzi Q said...

UM!!! You are the CUTEST teacher EVER!!! :) Seriously! No wonder my nephew loved you so much!