Sunday, April 19, 2009

To Bump, or Not to Bump.....That is the Question.

Another week has flown by at the Romero's, and we are just as busy as last week, if not more!! Here are a few of the fun and exciting happenings of the past week. I apologize for the length of this post. I just couldn't leave anything out!!

So, it is no surprise to anyone that I am a fan of big hair. I always have been. I guess that is a trait my mom passed on to me. Now, lets get one thing straight......there is a BIG difference between big hair and "West Valley Hair". I happen to enjoy full bodied hair with volume that will last all day long. I consider myself to be pretty dang good at teasing my hair to add volume to the top of my head for both down do's, as well as up do's, such as my personal fav, the ponytail. Well, Cameron knows of my love of voluptuous hair, and saw a commercial for a product called a "Bump It". It is a plastic "thing" you put on the crown of your head to add volume without teasing your hair to death. He knows how much I hate how teasing breaks my hair off (but mostly I think he hates how the broken off hair ends up on the bathroom floor), and so he decided to order a Bump It for me! Well, he ordered it more than a month ago, and it just barely arrived at our house yesterday. As silly as it sounds, I was so excited to try it!! If it will make the "getting ready process" more simple, I am all for it. I tried it today with my pony tail and was pleasantly surprised. I struggled with it at first, because I wasn't putting enough hair over the top of the nifty hair piece. So far, I am impressed. I will have to let you know what I think of it when I leave my hair down, or half up.
We had a fantastic Easter Sunday last week. We went to church with Greg, Karine, and the kids, then went back to their house for a delicious brunch of breakfast casserole, hash browns, and pancakes. Between our brunch, and dinner at my Grandma's house, we went home so I could work on finishing my paper that was due that night. I had hoped to finish it last Saturday, but for some reason was seriously lacking in the concentration and motivation needed to finish the project. I don't know what my problem was, but I just couldn't manage to organize my thoughts into a meaningful paper. After my attempt to finish my assignment, which didn't happen, we ventured back to Murray for a BBQ at my Grandma and Grandpa's house with that side of the fam. We were wishing is was a little warmer outside, but we were just happy to be together talking and enjoying hamburgers, hot dogs, salad, and most importantly strawberry shortcake. When we got home later that evening, we were surprised with an Easter basket from my Dad and Cort filled with lots of yummy treats :), especially the mini Cadbury Eggs! Mmmm!! It was a busy day, but a great one since were able to spend time with all the different sides of our family.
On Wednesday night, Karine, Lauren and myself had the AMAZING opportunity to go and see the Broadway Musical Wicked!!! Greg was able to get us tickets for Christmas, and we have been patiently waiting for months for our night to go and see the play. I had only heard great things about it, so I was so excited for Wednesday to come!!! Well, it was all that I had hoped it to be and SO much more!!! The actors were fantastic, the music was phenomenal, and the whole production was so well put together!! All 3 of us had such a great time!!! I know the production is sold out the entire time it is in SLC, but if you have the opportunity to get tickets, even for a steep price, I would suggest you go. It will be well worth every penny, and you won't be disappointed.
I have almost survived my first class as a grad student!! Only 16 more months to go!! I won't lie and say that it has been easy, because it has been a huge challenge! I have had to learn to balance school, home life, and my job (which is crazy busy this time of the year, since the end of school is just around the corner). I swear, since going back to school, I have done more laundry!!! I don't think it is ever done!!! Cameron has been a great help, even though he is nearing finals at school as well. He has had to put in more study time this semester with his Statistics class, but has managed to find time to help around the house and just relax with me when I need it (and I need it a lot). I am so happy I decided to go back when I did, and not put it off any longer. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to try and do all that I do and have a kid on top of it. I am pretty sure I would have to be committed to a mental institution if I took on one more thing!! I am almost done with my classes for my ESL endorsement! Yay!! That class has tortured me!!!!! I dread Tuesday nights, and can't wait to be done!! I am really glad I did it this year, because next year in order to have ESL students in your class, you have to have an ESL endorsement. Since my class is made up of about 1/3 ESL kiddos, it is a good thing I will have the endorsement so I can keep my all day kindergarten job!

Friday at school was Decades Day, where the kids and students were encouraged to dress up in clothes from the decade of their choice. The school musical this year "Camp Rockin Through the Decades" was being performed that day, so everyone was really excited to get dressed up and support the kids and teachers who worked so hard to get ready for the performance.......or so I thought. In the spirit of things, I got all dressed up in my 80's gear and went to school. Well, once I walked into the school, I saw that no one was dressed up. As I wandered the halls looking for others dressed as ridiculous as I, and found no one until I went into the office and found one of the special ed teachers dressed as a hippie. I guess, people weren't as excited to dress up as I had originally thought they were. I really wish I hadn't dressed up because I wouldn't have gotten suckered into being a part of the musical!! I not only had to perform in front of the school, but also in front of all the parents for the night performance!! One of the 5th grade teachers and I lip synced to "These Boots Were Made for Walkin". Naturally, I told Cameron he had to come to support me, but he got a little more than he had originally bargained for. Melissa (the 5th grade teacher) decided it would be funny if she brought up her son, and I brought up Cameron on stage, and have them sit on stools so we could "sing" to them. Cameron was a good sport and came up on stage with me, even though he was a little mad at me for a while afterward. I was mortified!! I learned my lesson about being "the fun teacher", and am not sure I will dress up for one of these events again.
So, I really owed Cam big time for being humiliated with me on stage. I decided to take him out to dinner after the performance and to a movie of his choice. We went and had dinner at Z'tejas at the Gateway and then to see the movie Fast and Furious. We are both big fans of the original movie, so were excited to see this installment since the original cast was back. It really was a pretty good show (well, at least the parts I was awake for.....it started at 10:20, a time when I am usually sleeping in my bed). I think it made up for my humiliating the both of us in front of the parents of all the 5th and 6th graders at the school, or at least I hope it did.
I am really hoping for a more mellow week this week. Although it was busy and hectic at times, it sure did make for an exciting blog post.


4 comments:

MILLS said...

Please keep us updated on the Bump It!!! That is very exciting, but seriously your hair always looks perfect!
I will have to agree with you about the play Wicked! It really is one of the most amazing things I had ever seen! I am so happy that you were able to see it!
The 80's story was hilarious! I couldn't have got Josh up on that stage for anything, please tell me your secret :)
Loved the Updated blog, keep up the good work with school, and lets plan on all hanging out sometime soon!

adam said...

I gotta admit that Adam and I saw that commercial too and now every time Adam sees someone with big hair, he makes some sort of 'bump it' comment. So, needless to say, I laughed and laughed when I saw that you had actually bought the product but if it really works, then more power to you because teasing is really not a healthy thing to do to your hair.

P.s. I love you Lindz!!

Tim and Stephanie said...

Oh my heck! Let me know if it works! I am a freak about big hair too! Love it!:)

l + j said...

haha, i love that you got a bump it! i've seen the infomercials and have wondered if they work well. i hate teasing my hair too, but we all do it in the name of beauty!
i'm glad you enjoyed wicked, too! we saw it in ny and i'm bummed that we aren't going to be able to see it this month. josh's mom offered me a ticket but i have a final in my night class that same night! ugh! the things we do to earn our higher education...