Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Time for an Update.....Here ya go Mom!!

Well, it's been a long time since I last updated the ole' blog, for a number of reasons.........
But, after much harassment from my mom and Liz, I decided it was time for an update.....even though I don't really have anything really exciting to write about.
So, I have survived my first month of grad school! Only 17 more months to go until I have that administrator license!! So far, it hasn't been too bad. I have been able to keep up with all of the reading, online discussions, and assignments...... even though I feel like all I do anymore is write papers!! I struggled at first getting back into the swing of things, especially remembering how to write a paper in APA format. I haven't been out of school that long, but I guess I forgot all that does with being a student. I have been very surprised at my ability to stay on top of it all. I was worried about the program being online, and not having to go to an actual classroom. I never thought I was disciplined enough to do it. I have found myself being a little OCD about it actually. It has helped Cameron for me to be back in school as well. His new rule is that whenever I do homework, he has to do homework. I don't think he realized how much homework I actually do :).
The past 4 weeks, I've had a student teacher working in my classroom from Westminster. I'm going to be honest, it has been a bit of a challenge. I was really excited to have the chance to teach someone about doing what I love, and perhaps instill in them that same love. Well, needless to say my experience has been the complete opposite. I feel like she has put as little effort into teaching my kids as possible. She has told me she really doesn't want to teach kindergarten, and really wasn't expecting the kids to be as "needy" as they are. Having spent the past 7 1/2 months with these kids, I can say they are NOT needy. They are so independent! Yes, they are 5 or 6 and need to be reminded of how to hold scissors, pencils, or to flush the toilet after they use the bathroom. Anyone who has EVER spent time with a child in that age group knows that. I hate to say it, but I am kind of excited to have my classroom back to myself, and I think my kiddos are ready for me to be back teaching them full time. I've said it time and time again......teaching Kindergarten isn't for everyone. I guess it was meant to be a learning experience for me.
Cam and I have also been looking at buying a house, well actually a condo. Cort's mom, Janene is our fabulous realtor and has spent so much time doing research and setting up appointments for us. Well, we fell in love with a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom BRAND NEW condo not far from where we live now. We were pre-approved for a mortgage a few months ago, so we didn't have much work to do after we found something we loved, and could afford. Well, Janene was working with our mortgage broker on setting up our loan and an offer on to make to the realtor at the condo complex......and well we got screwed. The advertised on the listing that they would sell to buyers who were financing through an FHA loan (which we were going to use), when in reality they are not, at least right now. They are required to sell 51% of the units with conventional loans (which require A LOT more money down) before they can sell the remaining 49% on FHA loans. The only problem is that only 1 of the 3 buildings in the complex in built. They haven't even broke ground on the other 2. We are really bummed about not being able to buy one of those, since they were everything we were looking for. I feel that all things happen for a reason......and am sure we will find something else we love just as much, or possibly even more.
Last Saturday night, Liz and Josh came over so Cameron could back up their computer on their new hard drive. It was fun to chat and hang out with them since we don't see them very often since they live so far away in the frozen tundra, A.K.A Logan. They boys did their nerdy thing, while Liz and I talked and caught up on any and all the gossip. The night before, Cam and I had bought a Wii and Wii Fit, and Liz wanted to play with it. It was great fun, and Cam took some great pictures of Liz workin it out on the Wii Fit. I promised her I would only put up good pictures, so here are my 2 favorite.......

Liz tight-rope walking...........

Check out that face!!!

Well, that is about all that's been happening in the world of the Romero's. With the Easter festivities this weekend, I am sure I will have things to add next week. Until next time........

1 comments:

l + j said...

hahaha... well thank you for not humiliating me too much... that Wii Fit was fun!!

it was good to see you guys again... we seriously need to make more time to come down and hang out. it's always nice to get out of this valley and back in the company of good friends. i'm sad that the condo didn't work out for you guys- but you'll find something else you love just as much, if not more! and stick with that grad school- 17 months sounds like a long time but it'll fly by and it'll be worth it!