Friday, June 6, 2008

Freedom.....Is it really a good thing?

Well, I have made it through my first week of summer vacation.  I love the thought of not going to work......and still being paid!  It hasn't been all vacation though.  I am coordinating the summer reading tutoring program at Parkside, so my Tuesdays and Thursdays are filled with tutoring.  It has been a real eye opener for me being "in charge".  I am in charge of of 5 tutors, and responsible for making sure that the children are coming to their scheduled session.  I have been amazed at how many parents just haven't brought their kids to their session....especially because it is FREE!!!  There is no other place where you can take your child to receive 1-on-1 tutoring based on the child's academic needs and not have to pay a dime.  Most tutoring centers charge at least $20-30 per 45 minute sessions.  We had 7 out of 20 kids not show up on Thursday!  Ugh!  I told the tutors to bring a book next week, since we don't know if these kids will show up.

I went to lunch with Kimmy this week.  I think we both forget that we live so close to each other.  It was good to chat, and we both decided we need to get together at least every 2 weeks. 

Thursday after tutoring, I went with my Mom, Tayler, and Grandma to lunch at Mimi's and to visit my Great Grandma.  I don't make it to visit her much so it was good to see her.  Her memory is starting to slip, so she tells the same stories over and over again, and has some pretty interesting takes on life.....she thought the care center employees had put a camera inside her bathroom.  She kept telling us that we couldn't see it because it was "part of the props".  We had a hard time not laughing but had to so we didn't hurt her feelings.  At least she still has a sense of humor and can laugh about life.  It really made me realize how miserable it is to get old.  I have told Cameron that as soon as I can't go to the bathroom on my own, I am done!  Since I have more free time now, I plan on going with my Grandma to visit her more often.

I have come to the realization that complete freedom for me is not easy.  I am so used to having a pretty tightly scheduled life, and this complete freedom thing has been really weird for me.  I almost haven't known what to do with myself.  Since I function so well with a schedule, I made myself one.  I know that sounds really strange, but I did.  I figured that if I didn't, I could very easily waste a lot of time during summer vacation.  I scheduled chores for me to do everyday, time to go to the gym, and time for me to do something for me (reading, shopping, etc).  I also am making it my goal to have all my "chores" and other stuff done by noon.  I hate the thought of wasting my day away so I am going to be ready and showered everyday by 1.  I know you are all probably laughing at me that I had a little freak out because I wasn't scheduled, since most people would love it, but I need structure.

The other thing I have come to realize this week is how little Cameron and I take pictures!  I look at all these blogs that are filled with pictures, and we really don't have many.  So, my other summer goal is to start taking pictures of us doing "stuff".  Tayler and I hiked up Millcreek Canyon the other day, but did I think to take my camera...NO!!  So that is my goal for the summer....start doing a better job documenting our lives!


2 comments:

l + j said...

you are a nerd for making summer schedule. but i actually understand exactly where you're coming from... what do you do when you go from 60-70 hour work weeks to NOTHING?! Try having nothing to do in Logan where you have no friends, too. No fun!

Also- Josh's eye caught the whole iPhone post... Does Cam have an iPhone right now? Josh says if he does and ends up getting one of the new ones... Josh would buy the old one off of him. lol just a thought. :) (but not a joke, he says)

Lava Hot Springs... think about it... SOON! We're hoping to plan a weekend there. Does Cam work weekends? Keep me posted. Miss you guys!

adam said...

I LOVE that you made a summer schedule. It's so wonderfully Lindz....

I actually have to admit that I did a similar thing, although mine is centered around Emma's pending arrival. I made a list of things that I want to get done before she's born. We'll see if it actually happens but I have this whole nesting thing going on and it definitely makes the days go faster when you are doing more than watching baby story and bringing home baby.... that just makes you wish you were finally having your own!!!

I love you and will certainly keep you posted so you can come down and she the first of the FuFu children